Sunday, May 26, 2013

Blast From the Past


I'm going through my notes and emails, excavating the past in order to perform my maternal function and create a ghastly but beautiful "memory board" for my graduating eighth grader--the kind of practice that relies on the existence of a imaginary "non working" and "stay at home" mom with oodles of time and a thwarted desire to express herself competitively through maintaining and displaying mementos (pictures, symbols) of her child's divine childhood experience.  I'm late with this production, of course, but I have also had the pleasure of finding, sandwiched in between my notes about my children, my own politicking.  First, here's a description of life with me, straight from the horses mouth:

"Saturday night the girls helped me begin and assemble some experimental yeast cinnamon buns. They mixed the sugar/nut/cinnamon mixture and alexandra cut the toasted nuts. They were so sweet, and so diligent, and they both got up on chairs to do the washign up (just like laura and mary!). In the morning I got up early to put the buns in the oven, and then we all had a quiet breakfast together. I, of course, began vibrating from the boredom, just sitting there in the sunny kitchen with nothing to run my eyeballs over.  Alexandra looked up from her bun, smeared with sticky joy, and asked solicitiously "Do you need your paper mommy? I could get it!" 
Later, the same day, I was flipping through the newly redesigned [Local City] magazine and complaining about its awfulness. Alexandra, from the kitchen table, in a voice of cynical weariness "Well, if they want to sell YOU anything, they'd better put in more politics!"
Here's an angry letter to the editor I wrote at about the same time, to the NYT after reading David Brooks:
Let me get this straight, Mr. Brooks. Populist rhetoric from Democrats like John Edwards is angry, and bad. The people turn away from it and "Edwards' political career is probably over" because of these "old fashioned" "angry cries."  Class warfare is so yesterday!  On the other side of the aisle, however, Huckabee wins because he "tapped into realities other Republicans have been slow to recognize." The reality on the ground? Why: "we have a crisis of authority in this country" and "the people have lost faith in their leaders' ability to respond to problems" a reality which Huckabee deals with by (apparently quite reasonably and pleasingly)  addresses by "criticiz[ing] Wall Street and K Street: and implicitly attacking the managerial upper class represented by Romney! /  /What's "angry" in a Democrat is mere "realism" in the Republican candidate. What's impermissible class warfare in those wild eyed Democrats is magically smart thinking when practiced by a Republican.   Thanks for clarifying for your readers something they couldn't work out for themselves--its /always ok as long as you are a Republican!  /Next week no doubt you'll explain to us why war is peace, and poverty is wealth. Oh, wait, that is already the GOP platform!

Regards 
Aimai

2 comments:

  1. Aimai, giving her daughters – and David Brooks – something to chew on.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know, its between funny and creepy. Reviewing the "literature" in the form of my notes about the girls and my furious letters to the editor, protests, organizations of protests, and pta meetings since 1998 just makes me want to laugh and cry at the same time. Still, its interesting to read the detailed mental and emotional development of my two very different children, against the background of my didactic and anthropological approach to education and moral development, intercut with every day business and the upheavals of the end of the Clinton years, the election, and then the Bush and Obama years. Its like being a rat in a can, in that famous experiment.

    ReplyDelete