Friday, April 1, 2016

Many Great Changes At the Last Possible Minute

SO: I'm going to Social Work School for my Masters.  It seems like I'm going backwards since I already have a Ph.D. But I could not be more excited. Yesterday I walked six miles in to town to my new future school, and by dint of wandering walked the rest of the way home for a grand total of 11.5.  I've been drivin in and out taking my daughters to events at Aimai's New Future Alma Mater (ANFAM) for years but as I walked the extremely windy streets yesterday I saw everything with new eyes.  Imagine! Soon I'll be one of these scurrying hordes!  I'm very, very, excited.  I feel like I'm coming out of a period of hibernation.  At the same time today I had baby group and I realized that I might have to give it up. It will probably conflict with my internship next year.  I've been doing this group for four years and, increasingly, the work has gotten more intense and more meaningful as the women in the group (especially those on their second child) have really come to rely on the group and on my co-facilitator and myself for advice and comfort.  I am having a hard time figuring out how to write about the issues that come up in group, since they are quite private.  I think I'll have to take all that offline.  But today a parent came in who had disclosed to the group a few weeks ago just how hard a time she'd been having with her child, just how frustrated she was. We--well, I because I was soloing--gave her the best counsel I could. Everyone pitched in and really kicked the issues around with her.   This week she came back alone, since her mother-in-law was looking after her children--just to embrace me, sit next to me, and give back to the group some of her experiences since she had broken so many barriers and taboos and confessed her problems to them. She told us that she had been afraid that she had crossed a line and told us too much.  But that our response to her had enabled her to really talk to her husband and start to advocate for herself to get the help she needed.  And though she'd been afraid even to come back to group after being so exposed she knew she could trust us to welcome her back.  I was really surprised and touched because she walked into the room as group had already started and I waved to her and she came all the way around and just threw her arms around me, passionately, and told me how much it meant to her to be in group with us.

6 comments:

  1. I know the issue of wanting to always be learning. When does it end?

    Your story about your baby group is very touching, but of course feels very oblique. It is hard to not share something you want to share.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very hard not to put it all out there for discussion. But I suppose that's the problem with all this working for the public good and dealing with people's intimate secrets. There's just not a lot of room for sharing and discussing except for with other professionals behind the wall of privacy. Still, take it from me, it was a very, very, intense group meeting.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congratulations, and have fun pursuing the new degree!

    As for speaking obliquely, I'd think it'd be unethical to break confidence, plus, I don't think it's necessary. You know the effect that session had, and that you personally had. I can't speak to your exact situation, of course, but often, the most important thing isn't any specific advice -- it's listening, being supportive, and being worthy of the trust given to you. Especially for nonprofessionals, sharing one's own experience (versus giving advice) is a great way to go -- it's less confrontational, if the story doesn't apply, it was just that person's experience, and it invites in vulnerability and trust. Some people get freaked out by the heavy stuff. The hug tells me you've got a good group and that you personally have a gift for this kind of thing. The Master's will likely teach you some great new tricks, and you can return to the group (or another like it) later on.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Aimai, I so relate to your story about returning to college (did it in 1971 at age 31.) Three kids and a husband who told me: "Don't ask me to pay your tuition." So it wasn't easy, but it was so much fun. Plus my degree was my ticket to freedom---enabling me to get a job and get rid of him!

    ReplyDelete
  5. We Facilitate Bank instruments SBLC for Lease and Purchase. Whether you are a new startup, medium or large establishment that needs a financial solution to fund/get your project off the ground or business looking for extra capital to expand your operation,our company renders credible and trusted bank guarantee provider who are willing to fund and give financing solutions that suits your specific business needs.

    We help you secure and issue sblc and bank guarantee for your trade, projects and investment from top AA rated world Banks like HSBC, Barclays, Dutch Ing Bank, Llyods e.t.c because that is the best and safest strategy for our clients.e.t.c

    DESCRIPTION OF INSTRUMENTS

    1. Instrument: Funds backed Bank Guarantee(BG)

    2. Currency : USD/EURO

    3. Age of Issue: Fresh Cut

    4. Term: One year and One day

    5. Contract Amount: United State Dollars/Euros (Buyers Face Value)

    6. Price : Buy:32%+1, Lease: 4%+2

    7. Subsequent tranches: To be mutually agreed between both parties

    8. Issuing Bank: Top RATED world banks like HSBC, Barclays, ING Dutch Bank, Llyods e.t.c

    9. Delivery Term: Pre advise MT799 first. Followed By SWIFT MT760

    10. Payment Term: MT799 & Settlement via MT103

    11. Hard Copy: By Bank Bonded Courier


    Interested Agents,Brokers, Investors and Individual proposing international project funding should contact us for directives.We will be glad to share our working procedures with you upon request.



    Name: Muhammed Emir Harun

    Contact Mail :info.financewizardltd@gmail.com

    Skype: info.financewizardltd@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. A GREAT SPELL CASTER (DR. EMU) THAT HELP ME BRING BACK MY EX GIRLFRIEND.
    Am so happy to testify about a great spell caster that helped me when all hope was lost for me to unite with my ex-girlfriend that I love so much. I had a girlfriend that love me so much but something terrible happen to our relationship one afternoon when her friend that was always trying to get to me was trying to force me to make love to her just because she was been jealous of her friend that i was dating and on the scene my girlfriend just walk in and she thought we had something special doing together, i tried to explain things to her that her friend always do this whenever she is not with me and i always refuse her but i never told her because i did not want the both of them to be enemies to each other but she never believed me. She broke up with me and I tried times without numbers to make her believe me but she never believed me until one day i heard about the DR. EMU and I emailed him and he replied to me so kindly and helped me get back my lovely relationship that was already gone for two months.
    Email him at: Emutemple@gmail.com  
    Call or Whats-app him: +2347012841542

    ReplyDelete