Monday, January 30, 2017

Combating the Sore Loser Meme

The Boston Globe published a story today about the mammoth pro-refugee/immigrant rally in Copley Square yesterday. I was still nursing a broken toe and didn't go and I'd be kicking myself for missing it but...broken toe.  On the other hand I forsee plenty of chances to rally and protest in the near and far future so I'm not heartbroken.  There were two quotes from Republicans in the Boston Globe story. Charlie Baker gave Mitch McConnell's response which was to pretend that this was all business as usual and that "the courts" would fix things, somehow.  Not a constitutional crisis, not an unconstitutional act, not immoral, just...kind of not great but if we'd all calm down and let the grown ups handle it things would be better. The other was from Trump's MA campaign manager--interesting that they couldn't get one or two of our few Republican State Reps to comment--and he gave the other party line "you were warned, you can't complain now."  Actually, what he said was even more interesting, deliberately drawing attention to the fact that President Obama had delivered this mild rebuke to the Republicans after his election he said "Elections have consequences and President Trump promised to do all this during the campaign." (Paraphrasing).

We are going to hear a lot of this in the future. But its not really an answer to the protests. We aren't protesting because we don't realize the election had a consequence that put Trump into power. We are protesting because his actions are illegal, immoral, and we don't like them. This has nothing to do with the legitimacy, or otherwise, of his election.  And it has nothing to do with numbers for or against his policies. It has to do with legal, illegal, moral, immoral, justice, and injustice.

And this is a point we need to be making to the remaining Trump voters as well as to the voters and non voters who were essentially on the fence, or ignorant of the choice they were making, or voting out of spite.  We need to emphasize (as people already do in their signs) the larger moral and safety issues.  I also think we need to start banding together in affinity groups and showing up at rallies as groups--I suppose I'm thinking this because now that I am a Social Worker I finally have a ready made group to affiliate with.  But no one will be surprised when Social Workers show up en masse.  I am thinking of smaller but bigger groups--PTA, a whole street, churches, new mothers, grandmothers, bowling leagues.  I'm also a Weight Watcher and I want to organize a "Weight Watchers Against Deportation" group.  I think back to a sign my mother saw forty years ago at a big Anti-Nuke rally in NY "East Village Weight Watchers Against The Bomb!"  When every subgroup in society comes out, loud and proud, and its not clearly "interested parties" or the phantom "paid advocates" we will start to see cracks in the complacent ice that is the majority of white people in this country.  I hope.  



8 comments:

  1. I think I stand with this principle--my lack of support for Trump isn't why I think he's wrong, I think he's wrong which is why I can't support him. It isn't because I'm a liberal, because I'm a feminist, because I queer-identify, or because I like pink-knitted hats--it's because everything he has ever proposed seems to exist in a world where no historical or policy precedent and its outcome has ever been considered. Torture, Muslim registry, tried during Bush Admin, found to be stupid. When I look at the diversity of the Women's Marches and the Airport protests, though, I can't even imagine how anyone like Fox News' Sean Hannity even thinks this could be paid protest. *this* many sisters knit hats, made signs and stood in how much weird intercontinental weather to signify for a paycheck? No: these sisters wanted to be representing. And no one stops by the airport unless they really want to. I feel like there will be protests a plenty and a never-ending supply of happy new-social-justice-warriors coming along, since this administration will never cease to horrify. But this new and young energy--folks who only figured out they needed to struggle when Trump turned up?

    They aren't feeling like sore losers--they feel robbed. And I welcome them playing out their vengeance.

    I think congress is the best target. We need to do like the Tea Party and light up Town Halls where the US Reps figure out what they are repping for. We'll get heard.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Arlo Guthrie from Studs Terkel's Hope Dies Last: I remembered the day it ended. We were protesting the building the Seabrook nuclear power plant in New Hampshire. We had been at a bunch of these things for the last decade - civil rights, ban the bomb, stop the war, clean the water, whatever - and we had always marched down these streets and boulevards singing the usual songs, "We Shall Overcome," "I Ain't Gonna Study War No More" songs. All of a sudden, I saw a placard that somebody was holding. It said: _Lesbians Plumbers from Albany, New York, against nuclear power_. Although it was funny and wonderful in some ways, I also realized that this was the end. Now people were using these events to justify who they were and not simply to end the nuclear threat in the area. And I think I was right.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow !!! absolutely fantastic blog. I am very glad to have such useful information.

    หนังออนไลน์

    ReplyDelete
  4. My husband and i got Married last year and we have been living happily for a while. We used to be free with everything and never kept any secret from each other until recently everything changed when he got a new Job in NewYork 2 months ago. He has been avoiding my calls and told me he is working,i got suspicious when i saw a comment of a woman on his Facebook Picture and the way he replied her. I asked my husband about it and he told me that she is co-worker in his organization,We had a big argument and he has not been picking my calls,this went on for long until one day i decided to notify my friend about this and that was how she introduced me to Mr James(Worldcyberhackers@gmail.com) a Private Investigator  who helped her when she was having issues with her Husband. I never believed he could do it but until i gave him my husbands Mobile phone number. He proved to me by hacking into my husbands phone. where i found so many evidence and  proof in his Text messages, Emails and pictures that my husband has an affairs with another woman.i have sent all the evidence to our lawyer. I just want to thank Mr James for helping me because i have all the evidence and proof for my lawyer,I Feel so sad about infidelity.


    ReplyDelete
  5. """I just want to say that your article is just as great. The clarity of your message is simple
    excellent and I can assume that you are an expert on this matter.""
    Octopus Box Crack
    Octoplus crack
    Octoplus cracked 2020"

    ReplyDelete
  6. I appreciate your content. It is helpful for new people. This is nice and great!
    https://crackgive.com/mobiledit-phone-copier-express/

    ReplyDelete